This dessert is one of Grandpa Gary’s favorites… who am I kidding?! It’s one of MINE too! Raspberries and cream cheese are a delectable combination that tastes deceptively light, which makes you want to eat way more than you should. Fruit? Dairy? Couldn’t this be considered breakfast?
- 1 angel food cake
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ pint whipping cream
- 3 packages frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- Drain raspberries and set aside, reserving juice.
- Pour juice into a saucepan. Dissolve corn starch in water and add to juice. Cook on medium heat and stir until juice is clear and thickened. (If using unsweetened raspberries, add sugar to juice when heating.) Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Slice angel food cake about ½ inch thick and cover bottom of 9x13" pan, fitting uneven pieces together like a puzzle.
- Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and whipping cream. Spoon over cake. Spread until mixture covers cake entirely, sealing the edges (so the raspberry topping doesn't seep down into cake).
- Chill in refrigerator until raspberry syrup has cooled.
- When raspberry syrup has cooled, gentrly stir in raspberries. Pour over cake and chill overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- Cut into squares to serve.